Study Abroad Orientation & Excursions in Australia
Visit the Australia Resident Office Orientation Page
Arrival and orientation
- Airport pick-up
- Four-day, on-site orientation for semester/year students includes transportation, accommodation, activities, information sessions and meals
- Orientation takes advantage of Sydney's cultural attractions while also giving students a chance to experience beach life in Australia
- Orientation takes place at the YHA, located in the Rocks, one of Sydney's oldest and most hip areas. The YHA has a stunning rooftop with outstanding views of the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and the city. The location is a 10-minute walk from Circular Quay, the central tourist hub of Sydney
- Sightseeing excursions to some of Sydney's famous landmarks
- Aussie dinner and Aussie trivia evening
- Blue Mountains day trip
- Sydney Harbour dinner cruise
- Introduction to Australian culture and academic differences
- IFSA-Butler staff walk students through everything from how to succeed academically to how to integrate socially in the host university
- Visit to Featherdale Wildlife park, where you can feed kangaroos and get a photo with a koala
- Visit Waradah Aboriginal Educational Centre to learn more about Aboriginal cultural with live dance performances and demonstrations
- Following orientation, students fly or travel by bus to their host universities
Cultural and sporting events
- A free welcome event in each host city. Welcome events are organized by each city's Student Services Coordinator and are tailored to show students the best that each host city has to offer.
- Past welcome events included amazing race, bicycle tours or even a trip to a local island.
- Students have one cultural or sporting event during the semester. Past events have included a National Rugby League game, Australian Football League game, and a theatre or music performance
- For students outside of Sydney, Canberra and Wollongong: Aussie Experience Weekend or day trips which could include a visit to local wineries, whale watching boat trips, visiting an Aussie ranch, snorkeling adventures, and an adventure-style weekend with hiking, ropes courses and more.
- For students in Sydney, Canberra and Wollongong, a Country Life weekend: Includes a farm tour, bushwalking, star gazing, BBQs, involvement in farm activities, animal spotting, hanging out with a local family and great home cooked food.
- Afternoon teas, pizza afternoons and regular campus visits by IFSA-Butler student service coordinators
- Program T-shirt or hoodie
- Farewell celebration and meal with slideshow presentation