MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

England Study Abroad Program at the University of Kent

About University of Kent in Canterbury, England

  • Minimum GPA: 3.0 (4.0 scale)
  • Application deadlines: October 15 for spring two terms (Jan-June)
    April 15 for fall term (Sept-Dec)
    April 15 for full year (Sept-June)
  • Program advisor: Kendall Hook

Program Snapshot

 kentWe're so excited that you're considering IFSA-Butler's program at the University of Kent for your semester or year abroad. Located on a hilltop, the University of Kent offers the comfort of a self-contained campus overlooking beautiful and historic Canterbury. We're sure you're going to love studying there!

What the University of Kent has to offer

  • A diverse student population, international flavor and strong ties to Europe that enhance its reputation as the "U.K.'s European university"
  • Regularly receives top rankings in student satisfaction
  • A hilltop campus with panoramic views of the cathedral, city, farmlands and villages in the surrounding countryside
  • A great arts scene, including drama, film and music of all kinds, as well as on-campus cafés, bars, restaurants and nightclub
  • Medical service, counseling support and other student support services on campus
  • An active student union and more than 100 student clubs and societies
  • Sports halls with two gyms, a sauna and solarium, and space for many more athletic activities


  • Housing is with British and other international students in one of three residential colleges or in on-campus student flats
  • Student can purchase meals in university dining facilities or prepare their own meals in shared kitchens


  • Some of the best teaching faculty in the U.K.
  • Students normally take two to four courses per semester, depending on course weight

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?

  1. Open the University of Kent online course catalog.
  2. Be sure to pick courses that are offered in the semester and year you wish to study.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

  • When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the British academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
    • First-year (Stage 1) courses are appropriate for departments in which you have some prior experience.
    • Second-year (Stage 2) courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
    • Third-year (Stage 3) courses will be equivalent to senior or graduate level U.S. courses and, if available, require a very strong background.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

Course Restrictions

  • Journalism modules are not available for study abroad students  
  • Stage 1 drama modules are not available for study abroad students 


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler requires students to enroll in a full course load at the University of Kent. The number of courses you take depends on the credit value of the courses you select. A full course load at the University of Kent is 60 credits for the semester (equivalent to 16 U.S. semester credit hours) and 120 credits for the year (equivalent to 32 U.S. semester credit hours). Please consult the chart below.

15 Kent credits = 4 U.S. semester credit hours
30 Kent credits = 8 U.S. semester credit hours


What are the registration conditions?
You must take a full course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. Neither you nor the university is bound by your selections, and you will not officially register for courses until you arrive on campus.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to your program calendar to review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting a grade appeal or academic follow-up for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at the University of Kent. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

What are my housing options?
The following housing options are available during your semester or year abroad:

Residential Colleges: There are three residential colleges on campus (similar to dormitories in the U.S.): Beckett, Eliot, Rutherford and Keynes. These are single study bedrooms with ensuite or shared bathrooms. Dining facilities are located throughout the campus.

When a student is assigned to full-service housing, such as a residential college, there is a housing supplemental charge for full-service facilities. More details regarding this charge can be viewed on the program fees tab.

Residential colleges require students to move out of their rooms during vacation periods. If you do not want to have to move out of your room during vacation periods (which last several weeks) we advise you to request a student flat (see below).

Every student at Kent belongs to a college whether he or she lives on campus or not. Each college has a bar, common rooms, game rooms, a small shop, launderette and computer facilities. Many classrooms are also in the college buildings.

Student Flats: The University of Kent offers self-catered options at Park Wood, Tyler Court , Keynes Flats, and Darwin College. Park Wood village is about a 10-minute walk from campus and includes a student bar (Woody's), a launderette and a small shop to buy food and other essentials. Rooms are arranged in five- or six-bedroom houses. Residents share kitchen and bathroom facilities, and there is often a small common dining room. Students are expected to provide their own cooking utensils, pots and pans, and cutlery. We suggest that you wait until your arrival in Canterbury to purchase the necessary kitchen supplies, as past residents often leave assorted cooking equipment behind.

The student flats allow students to remain in their housing during vacation periods. If you are going abroad for the academic year or spring program, you are encouraged you to request a student flat so you do not have to vacate your housing during vacation periods.

Please also keep in mind that all on-campus housing is mostly occupied by first-year British students or other international students. Most second- and third-year British students live off-campus, usually in town.

What kind of furniture is provided in my room?
Each study bedroom is equipped with a single bed with mattress, mattress protector and pillow. There is a bedside table, desk with drawers, desk chair, desk lamp, bookshelves, chest of drawers, wardrobe/cupboard space with mirror, easy chair, wastepaper bin and curtains. For all accommodation, you will need to provide your own towels and bedding (except for a pillow, which is provided. We recommend that you rent a bed linen pack from the university (about £30) or purchase bed linens once you arrive.


The residential colleges of Eliot and Rutherford come with a meal allowance that covers breakfast or can be used towards your evening meal.

Dining facilities are located throughout the campus. Accommodation in Keynes College and Beckett Court are offered on a bed and bistro basis, which includes breakfast and dinner.

Student flats and Darwin College are self-catering. Students are expected to provide their own cooking utensils, pots and pans, and cutlery.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for the cost of your meals (whether a meal plan or self-catered) and any commuting costs you may incur.

When will I receive my housing assignment?

You will most likely receive your housing assignment one to two weeks before your departure. However, in some cases you may not receive your housing assignment until you arrive in Londonfor orientation. Your program advisor will notify you of your housing assignment via e-mail when it is released by the university.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Can I arrange my own housing?

Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by the program application deadline for your term abroad, listed at the top of this page. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after the deadline.


Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in Canterbury, England

About Canterbury
Population: 45,000
Location: Southeast England, along the Channel

City features

  • Two thousand years of history in one location
  • Home to one of the most historic and important cathedrals in England
  • Cobblestoned streets, ancient pubs, unique restaurants and cultural attractions
  • Plenty of modern pubs, bars and restaurants
  • The perfect location for a student traveler

Do more!

  • Explore the seaside towns and beautiful countryside of Kent, known as the "Garden of England"
  • Take a train to London, about a 90-minute ride
  • Depart from the port of Dover, just 12 miles away, for travel to France, the Netherlands and Belgium
  • Travel to continental Europe via the nearby Chunnel (Channel Tunnel)

Visit Canterbury
Kent Tourism
Southeast England Tourist Board
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Virtual Walk
The Channel Tunnel

Dates & Fees

Program Dates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

Important: Spring students should take special note of the dates for spring break and exams. Students are expected to remain at Kent until their last final exam.

Once you are abroad, please verify the program end date with the department(s) in which you are studying. Ending dates may vary from department to department, and you will be expected to complete all course obligations prior to your departure. Program housing is available only until the program end date.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

In the United Kingdom, exams are taken under formal conditions and changes cannot be made for individuals. Exams must be taken where and when scheduled.

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our England program fees
Expense calculator

Academic Year and Fall Payments Due: July 1
Spring Payment Due:
November 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for tuition, services and housing. Any bills for tuition differentials and/or supplemental housing fees will be sent separately. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student self-catering accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. Rates are current as of 12/9/2016.

They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs. Meals are estimated based on the cost of a weekly standard grocery shop with one or two meals out.  If you plan to eat out once a day or more, we recommend using a higher estimate.  If you have dietary restrictions or follow a specific diet (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, organic, etc), you may also wish to budget more due to the higher cost of specialty food items.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

*Student Visa: U.S. citizens studying in the U.K. for less than six months (180 days) do not need to apply for a visa, but can instead enter the country as a student visitor at no cost. Student visitors are allowed to remain in the U.K. for up to six months but are not allowed to undertake any paid work or unpaid volunteer activities. Citizens of some countries may be required to obtain a student visa. If this applies to you, your IFSA-Butler program advisor will notify you. Detailed instructions regarding U.K. visas will be sent to all students upon acceptance.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

Commuting: Estimates are for transportation between housing and university. Transportation for personal or recreational purposes is not included in the above estimates.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team of staff who are here to help students prepare for their program in England:

kendallProgram Advisor Kendall Hook assists with the application process and is here to answer program, cultural and academic questions before departure. Kendall studied abroad twice during her undergraduate career, in Florence, Italy for a summer term, and London, England for a semester internship program. In addition, she has personally traveled all over Europe and the U.K. She graduated from Baylor University and completed a Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration from Vanderbilt University, specifically concentrating on International Education Policy Management. She is very excited to help students find their fit, plan their own study abroad adventures and help them step outside of their comfort zone. She can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4205.

altStudent Accounts Coordinator Angelita Shaffer assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Angelita can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4221.


altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

Once abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our resident directors. Click here to read more about Resident Director Lynne Alvarez.

abbyAcademic Records Coordinator Abby Miller graduated from Butler University where she worked as a guide for international students from all over the world. From that experience and combined with her own world travels, she knows the amazing experiences that studying abroad can provide. Abby is excited to work with IFSA-Butler students and to help answer any questions about their academic records. Abby can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4217.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:
Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students


Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.