MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

England Study Abroad at the University of Nottingham

About the University of Nottingham in Nottingham, England

    • Minimum GPA: 3.0 (4.0 scale)
    • Application deadlines: September 15 for spring semester (Jan-June)
    • Program advisor: Michelle Mannweiler
    • Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for this program after the spring 2017 term. Please contact IFSA-Butler to discuss alternative program options for fall 2017 and beyond.
Mac & PDF + Printing Tips

Program Snapshot


We're so excited that you're considering IFSA-Butler's program at the University of Nottingham for your semester or year abroad. Nottingham is located near the storied Sherwood Forest and the university is one of the most culturally diverse in England. We're sure you're going to love studying there!

There are a few specific forms for this program that you will need to complete along with your IFSA-Butler application. You can find the forms under the Forms tab.

What the University of Nottingham has to offer

  • A culturally diverse learning environment and one of the most international universities in England
  • A member of Britain's Russell Group of universities, similar to the Ivy League
  • Three campuses connected by free bus service
  • An active students' union provides a huge range of student-run services and more than 200 clubs and societies
  • On-campus Theatre and Arts Center, shops, cafeterias, banks and a travel center
  • Great athletic facilities, including an indoor pool, climbing wall, squash courts, two-story fitness center, lighted artificial turf pitch, grass pitches and tennis courts
  • Welcome program at the beginning of each semester and comprehensive support


  • Housing is in a student flat or in a traditional residence hall
  • Cook for yourself or purchase your meals in a student flat, or enjoy a meal plan in the residence hall


  • One of a few U.K. institutions where visiting students can study agriculture
  • All fall semester examinations take place in January
  • Students take three to six courses each semester, depending on course weight
  • A member of the prestigious Russell Group of major research universities in the United Kingdom

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?
Visit the University of Nottingham online course catalog.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

  • When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the England academic system is an intensive, three-year program.
    • First-year (100 level) courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
    • Second-year (200 level) courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
    • Third-year (300 level) courses will be equivalent to senior-level U.S. courses.
    • Fourth-year (400 level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

Course Restrictions

Fourth-year (400 level) courses and higher are part of a postgraduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.). You are not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.

Students studying English can take only 40 units of the total course load (60 units) in the English Department.

Please note that the University of Nottingham's fall exams take place in January. All study abroad students are expected to take their exams in Nottingham in January.

Modules which are available to study abroad students are listed as "available to JYA/Erasmus.”


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler requires students to enroll in a full course load at the host institution. The number of courses you take depends on the credit value of the courses you select. A full course load at the University of Nottingham is 60 units for the semester (equivalent to 15-16 U.S. semester credit hours) and 120 for the year (equivalent to 30-32 U.S. semester credit hours).

Please note that the University of Nottingham's fall exams take place in January. All study abroad students are expected to take their exams in Nottingham in January.

Students studying English can take only 40 units of the total course load (60 units) in the English Department.

For information on the credit weight, please review the information below.

10 Nottingham units = 2.5 U.S. semester credit hours

20 Nottingham units = 5 U.S. semester credit hours


You must take a full University of Nottingham course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. You will be officially registered for courses before you arrive on campus.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to your program calendarto review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting an academic record appeal for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at the University of Nottingham. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

What are my housing options?
The following housing options are available during your semester or year abroad.

The University of Nottingham has several halls of residence, all on campus. The halls vary in size housing from 150 to 300 students.

Keep in mind that most courses are held at the University Park campus. However, the Jubilee campus houses the Schools of Education, Computer Science and Information Technology, and the University of Nottingham Business School. Broadgate Park and St. Peter's Court accommodations are off-campus student apartments.

Please review the following information and list your top housing choices and specify en-suite, single study, etc. on section B or C of the housing preference form found on the Forms tab.

  • Jubilee Campus (en-suite only)
    Offers en-suite facilities that are catered. Rooms are fully furnished and have phone outlets and broadband Internet service for an additional fee. Meals are served three times a day. Linens, etc. are provided for you (laundry facilities on site). You will find that staying in a hall is more like the typical British experience. Facilities include a hall warden and resident tutors, bars, restaurants, shops, and banks.


  • University Park Campus
    (Please specify: Shared bedroom, shared study, single study, private shared bedroom or en suite).
    Offers single rooms catered in a hall of up to 350 students. You must specify your room option: shared bedroom, shared study, single study, shared bathroom,or en-suite (own bathroom). Rooms have phone outlets and broadband Internet service for an additional fee. Meals served three times a day. Linens etc. are provided for you, and laundry facilities are available on site. The catered halls offer a sense of community and identity to each hall. Facilities include a hall warden and resident tutors, sport and fitness center, concert hall, two theaters, a nightclub, numerous bars and shops, and banks.


  • Broadgate Park
    (Please specify: Standard, standard plus, standard plus large, en-suite, en-suite large).
    Offers your own room in a shared self-catering flat that will house up to seven students. Room options include, standard, standard plus, standard plus large, en-suite (own bathroom), and en-suite large. All bedrooms, except for en-suite flats, have phone and Internet points, including a broadband service and access to the university's network. En-suites have Internet points with a broadband service, but no direct access to the University's network. You will be responsible for bringing your own kitchenware, linens, and pillows. Bedding can be purchased as a package on site. There is a communal laundry room you can use. Housing is located in Beeston and is owned by an external developer.


  • St. Peter's Court (en-suite only)
    Offers your own en-suite room in a shared self-catering flat housing up to six students. You will share the kitchen/diner. There is a phone point and Internet data point in each bedroom. There are plans to provide a broadband service, but there is no direct access to the University's network. Additional fees apply to phone and Internet services. You must bring your own kitchenware and bed linen. Pre-packaged crockery and linen are available for purchase on site. You also have access to communal laundry room. Housing is located in Radford. It is very centralized and close to the Jubilee Campus.



Most residence halls provide full board, three meals a day. If you choose a residence with a meal plan you will be charged a supplemental fee. However, a few flats operate on a "self-catered" or pay-as-you-eat plan, which allows students to pay for meals as they desire. If you select a "self-catered" option, you will not live on campus at University Park or the Jubilee campus.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for the cost of your meals (whether a meal plan or self-catered) and any commuting costs you may incur. Some university housing requires students to move out during winter and spring breaks. If you wish to remain in residence during the vacation period(s), you must notify the university housing office upon arrival to make necessary arrangements. Staying in residence during university breaks may incur additional costs not covered by the IFSA-Butler program fee.

When will I receive my housing assignment?
You will most likely receive your housing assignment one to two weeks before your departure. However, in some cases you may not receive your housing assignment until you arrive in England for orientation. Your program advisor will notify you of your housing assignment via e-mail when it is released by the university.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Do I have to pay a housing deposit?
Yes. IFSA-Butler requires a refundable housing deposit of $300 before going abroad. We will return this deposit to you after March 1 for fall programs or September 1 for spring and year programs, less any fines, damages or outstanding debts in your name.

Can I arrange my own housing?
Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by the program application deadline for your term abroad, listed at the top of this page. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after the deadline.

Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in Nottingham, England

About Nottingham
Population: 300,000
Location: Central England, ninety minutes north of London

City features

  • A student friendly city in the shadow of Sherwood Forest
  • A cosmopolitan city and the regional capital of the East Midlands
  • World-class concert hall, theatres, cinemas and live music venues
  • Shops, cafes, bars and more than 100 pubs, clubs and restaurants
  • At the heart of city center is the largest square in England, newly renovated with a large water feature with fountains and rapids
  • The world-famous Goose Fair every October

Do more!

  • Visit the beautiful Peak District National Park nearby
  • Explore Nottinghamshire, including Newstead Abbey, home of writer and poet Lord Byron, and Robin Hood's home, Sherwood Forest
  • Take a train to London, about 90 minutes away
  • Fly within Europe from conveniently located Nottingham East Midlands Airport, 20 minutes by bus from the university

Experience Nottingham
This is Nottingham

Dates & Fees

Program Dates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

Important: Once you are abroad, please verify the program end date with the department(s) in which you are studying. Ending dates may vary from department to department, and you will be expected to complete all course obligations prior to your departure. Program housing is available only until the program end date.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

In the United Kingdom, exams are taken under formal conditions and changes cannot be made for individuals. Exams must be taken where and when scheduled.

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our England program fees
Expense calculator

Academic Year and Fall Payments Due: July 1
Spring Payment Due:
November 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for tuition, services and housing. Any bills for tuition differentials and/or supplemental housing fees will be sent separately. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student self-catering accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

† Housing Deposit
This program requires a housing deposit of $300. This payment is in addition to the program fee but is due on the same date. The deposit is held separately from the program fee and should be paid separately. The deposit is refunded to the student after the program, less any damages, fines or outstanding debts in the student’s name.


Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. Rates are current as of 12/9/2016.

They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs. Meals are estimated based on the cost of a weekly standard grocery shop with one or two meals out.  If you plan to eat out once a day or more, we recommend using a higher estimate.  If you have dietary restrictions or follow a specific diet (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, organic, etc), you may also wish to budget more due to the higher cost of specialty food items.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

*Student Visa: U.S. citizens studying in the U.K. for less than six months (180 days) do not need to apply for a visa, but can instead enter the country as a student visitor at no cost. Student visitors are allowed to remain in the U.K. for up to six months but are not allowed to undertake any paid work or unpaid volunteer activities. Citizens of some countries may be required to obtain a student visa. If this applies to you, your IFSA-Butler program advisor will notify you. Detailed instructions regarding U.K. visas will be sent to all students upon acceptance.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.


To apply to the University of Nottingham program, use our easy online application.

Applicants to the University of Nottingham program must complete additional forms as part of the application process:

We must receive these forms before we can send your application to the University of Nottingham for an admissions decision. They can be sent to IFSA-Butler via email, fax or regular mail. Please submit these forms with the remainder of your program application.

If you have already started an application to the Nottingham program, you can track which forms IFSA-Butler has received by logging into the student portal.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

michelleProgram Advisor Michelle Mannweiler prepares students to study abroad by assisting them with the application process and answering program, cultural, and academic questions. Michelle is a Butler University graduate and majored in both Middle/Secondary Education and Spanish. Michelle also studied for a semester in Costa Rica through IFSA’s program. She joined the IFSA-Butler team in order to assist students in achieving their goals in new and interesting places. Michelle currently advises students planning to study in England. Michelle can be reached at the email link provided above or at 800-858-0229 ext. 4267.

altStudent Accounts Coordinator Angelita Shaffer assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Angelita can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4221.



altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

Once abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our resident directors. Click here to read more about Resident Director Lynne Alvarez.

abbyAcademic Records Coordinator Abby Miller graduated from Butler University where she worked as a guide for international students from all over the world. From that experience and combined with her own world travels, she knows the amazing experiences that studying abroad can provide. Abby is excited to work with IFSA-Butler students and to help answer any questions about their academic records. Abby can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4217.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:

Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students

Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.