MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. Programs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities

England Study Abroad Program at the University of York

About the University of York in York, England

  • Minimum GPA: 3.0 (4.0 scale)
  • Application deadlines: October 15 for spring two terms (Jan-June)
    April 15 for fall term (Oct-Dec)
    April 15 for full year (Oct-June)
  • Program advisor: Aimee Formo

Mac & PDF + Printing Tips

Program Snapshot


We're so excited that you're preparing to study abroad on an IFSA-Butler program and have chosen the University of York as your destination. York is a great home base for exploring the famous Yorkshire Moors and the Bronte country. We're sure you're going to love studying there!

There are a few specific forms for this program that you will need to complete along with your IFSA-Butler application. You can find the forms under the Forms tab.

What the University of York has to offer

  • One of Britain's top 10 universities
  • A member of Britain's Russell Group of universities, similar to the Ivy League
  • Self-contained campus along a lake in a charming village, a 20-minute walk from York's city center
  • A busy schedule of concerts, films, plays and lectures on campus
  • A new Market Square development on campus with supermarket, travel agency and several other retail services
  • Clubs and societies geared to students' cultural, academic, political, religious and recreational interests
  • On-campus sports center and 40 acres of outdoor playing fields
  • Each student is assigned to an academic staff member who acts as advisor on both academic progress and personal welfare


  • Housing is in one of eight colleges or in university housing close to the campus
  • Students in most housing options purchase their meals in the college cafeterias and snack bars or prepare their own meals in shared kitchens
  • Meal plans are available through a meals-in-advance deal (MAD) once students arrive in York
  • Students assigned to live in Derwent or Langwith College will have a mandatory meal plan


  • Visiting students are normally admitted to one or two departments and select their courses from the undergraduate offerings of those departments only
  • Students take a varied number of courses, depending on course weight

We look forward to working with you!



Where can I find a list of courses that the university offers?
1. Visit University of York's online course catalog.
2. To view courses by department click on the subject area that interests you. You may also download the visiting student module catalog for a list of all available courses.

What courses am I eligible to take?
As an IFSA-Butler student, you are entitled to enroll in undergraduate courses for which you are qualified and in which space is available. Course descriptions in the online course catalog (see above) include prerequisites you must fulfill in order to enroll in each course.

For each course that you list on your preference form, be sure to check the following:

When determining which courses to take, please bear in mind that the University of York academic system is an intensive, three-year program.

  • First-year courses are appropriate for departments in which you have little or no prior experience.
  • Second-year courses will be equivalent to advanced sophomore or junior-level U.S. courses.
  • Third-year courses will be equivalent to advanced junior or senior-level U.S. courses.
  • Fourth-year (only certain departments) courses require advanced knowledge of the subject area. You may not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student.
  • In the course catalog please note the following:
    • "Au" refers to courses available during the fall term
    • "Sp" refers to courses available during the first term of the spring two-term semester
    • "Su" refers to courses available during the second term of the spring two-term semester

All applications to the English department should be accompanied by a sample of a recent written work (at least 1,500 words). This essay must be a critical reflection of a literary topic. Please do not write a special paper for your application; submit an essay you have already turned in at your home university. If possible, the essay should be graded and the critique visible.

What if I need to take a required course?
Please be aware that IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that your host university will offer a particular course, or that you will be allowed to take that particular course. However, if you need to take a required course, you may indicate that it is required on your course preference form. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor will communicate your needs to your host university.

Course Restrictions

Fourth-year (only certain departments) courses require advanced knowledge of the subject area. You may not eligible to take these courses as an undergraduate study abroad student. It is strongly advised that students apply for only one department.

Courses in psychology are structured for a yearlong duration. Psychology majors wishing to attend for less than a year will only be able to take social psychology offered by the Sociology or Social Policy and Social Work Departments. Therefore, it is strongly advised that psychology majors wishing to take psychology courses enroll for the full year at the University of York.

Economics modules have pre-requisites that should be taken into account when applying to the University of York. Students wishing to apply to this department should have a strong background in the discipline.

The department of Health Sciences and the Hull York Medical School do not currently accept study abroad students.

History of Art is a very selective and smaller department that accepts fewer students.


How many courses am I able to take, and how do I determine U.S. semester credit hours?
IFSA-Butler requires students to enroll in a full course load at the host institution. The number of courses you take depends on the credit value of the courses you select. Each York credit is equivalent to 0.25 U.S. semester credit hours. For information on the credit weight, please review the information below.

Fall term
50 York credits = 12.5 U.S. semester credit hours

Full year
120 York credits = 30-32 U.S. semester credit hours

Spring two terms
80 York credits (40 per term) = 20 U.S. semester credit hours
60 York credits (30 per term) = 15 U.S. semester credit hours for The York Management School

What if I cannot find a 5- or 10-York credit course?
Most classes at the University of York are worth 20 York credits or 40 York credits. You may have to search to find an appropriate 10 York credit class to complete your schedule. Many students take classes in the "Languages for All Programme" to fill the 5- or 10-credit gaps in the schedule. Keep in mind that there is a supplemental fee for the "Languages for All Programme" that will be your responsibility to pay.


What are the registration conditions?
You must take a full University of York course load as determined by IFSA-Butler. Credit will be awarded on a Butler University transcript based on a typical U.S. full course load. All courses are graded on an A-F scale, and there is no provision for pass/fail or auditing courses unless pass/fail is the only method of assessment for the course. You are not allowed to register for online, distance education or hybrid courses.

You should also be aware that you may be charged additional fees by your home institution or host university to take or process additional credits. Taking less than a full course load may jeopardize your student status and result in personal academic repercussions and/or loss of financial aid.

The course preference form is not a registration form; it is a guideline to let your host university know which courses you are interested in taking abroad. You should discuss your course selections with your academic advisor at your home institution and have several backup choices in mind. Neither you nor the university is bound by your selections, and you will not officially register for courses until you arrive on campus. Some departments provisionally enroll students in courses prior to arrival. If this applies to you, your program advisor will let you know after acceptance.


What do I need to know about exams?
Because of the differences in the academic systems, you will not know your exam schedule until after you arrive at your host university. Please refer to your program calendar to review the exam period for your host university. Your host university's policies do not permit you to reschedule any exams, request alternate assessments or arrange to have your exams proctored in the United States. If this occurs, IFSA-Butler cannot assist you in conducting an academic record appeal for the course in which you made this arrangement. You will need to complete and submit all academic work prior to departing the program.


How will my home university know what my classes were and what grades I received?
After you have returned to the U.S., your home university will receive a Butler University transcript with the credit you earned at the University of York. The Butler University transcript will report the equivalent U.S. semester credit hours and letter grades. We also will send an official transcript to your permanent address.


Housing Options

Undergraduates from overseas are typically housed in single study bedrooms in seven colleges on the Heslington and East Heslington campuses. Most accommodation is coed, but this varies by class year. Single-sex accommodation for undergraduates is available in Alcuin and James Colleges. Please note that University of York assigns housing; therefore, IFSA-Butler cannot guarantee that preferences will be met.

Each study bedroom contains a single bed, a desk with lamp and chair, bookshelves, hanging space for clothes, drawers and a washbasin in most bedrooms or en-suite facilities.

Students are required to provide their own bedding, linens, pillows, comforters and covers, sheets and towels. You will be able to purchase a set of university bedding and linen upon arrival at York.

Each kitchen usually has hotplates, an oven, a kettle and a refrigerator. Students are required to provide their own pots, pans, plates, silverware and cooking utensils.

Most colleges have Internet access points or computer labs regularly available for your use.


You do not pay in advance for meals at York. You may eat in any of the colleges on a pay-as-you-go basis. The college dining services provide a variety of food types, including vegetarian and international dishes.

Housing FAQs

Is my housing included in the program fee?
Yes. Your program fee includes accommodation at the university while classes are in session. You will be responsible for the cost of your meals (whether a meal plan or self-catered) and any commuting costs you may incur. Some university housing requires students to move out during winter and spring breaks. If you wish to remain in residence during the vacation period(s), you must notify the university housing office upon arrival to make necessary arrangements. Staying in residence during university breaks may incur additional costs not covered by the IFSA-Butler program fee.

When will I receive my housing assignment?
You will most likely receive your housing assignment one to two weeks before your departure. However, in some cases you may not receive your housing assignment until you arrive in England for orientation. Your program advisor will notify you of your housing assignment via e-mail when it is released by the university.

Please keep in mind that while IFSA-Butler guarantees housing, we cannot guarantee your preferences.

Can I arrange my own housing?
Yes. IFSA-Butler recognizes that some students require independent housing for their time abroad. If you choose not to take advantage of our guaranteed housing, you may sign up for independent housing on the housing preference form. Once you've made this choice, we will not provide housing for you or bill you for the accommodation fee.

Please be advised that housing costs can be high abroad, and many times students living independently end up spending more money than students living in IFSA-Butler arranged housing. If you are hoping to save money by arranging housing on your own, please research your options early so you can compare costs. You must notify us of your intention to live in independent housing by the program application deadline for your term abroad, listed at the top of this page. We are not able to accommodate independent housing requests after the deadline.

Location Info

Living and Studying Abroad in York, England

About York
Population: 175,000
Location: Yorkshire, in northern England

City features

  • Ancient history complemented by a modern cultural scene
  • More than 2,000 years of history evident in walls that date to Roman times, fascinating architecture and York Minster, Northern Europe's largest Gothic cathedral
  • Pubs, cafes, tearooms, restaurants and a great pub music scene

Do more!

  • Explore the famous Yorkshire Moors and Brontë country
  • Take a train to London, two hours away
  • Travel to Edinburgh, a two-and-a-half-hour train trip
  • Go to the nearby east-coast ports to catch ferries for mainland Europe

York Tourism
Yorkshire Moors

City of
Yorkshire Visitor Centre
Visit Yorkshire
Yorkshire Pride

Dates & Fees

Program Dates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Dates...

Important: Once you are abroad, please verify the program end date with the department(s) in which you are studying. Ending dates may vary from department to department, and you will be expected to complete all course obligations prior to your departure. Program housing is available only until the program end date.

Your program end date may change due to circumstances beyond IFSA-Butler's control. Upon arrival at your host university, be sure to verify your exam schedule and program end date. We also strongly recommend that you investigate fees and penalties associated with your airline tickets in case you need to make date or route changes.

In the United Kingdom, exams are taken under formal conditions and changes cannot be made for individuals. Exams must be taken where and when scheduled.

Program Fees

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Fees...

What's included in our England program fees
Expense calculator

Academic Year and Fall Payments Due: July 1
Spring Payment Due:
November 15

Program Fee Bills
IFSA-Butler will send a single bill for tuition, services and housing. Any bills for tuition differentials and/or supplemental housing fees will be sent separately. Students who opt for independent housing will not be charged the housing component of the program fee.

The housing component of our program fee is based on the average cost of local student self-catering accommodation, usually a shared room in a regular dormitory, apartment or house without any extra features.

Personal Cost Estimates

Please wait... Please wait - Loading Personal Costs...

Expense calculator

These figures are designed to assist students with financial planning but are only estimates based on past students’ experiences at the current exchange rate. Rates are current as of 12/9/2016.

They do not include any entertainment or vacation travel costs. Meals are estimated based on the cost of a weekly standard grocery shop with one or two meals out.  If you plan to eat out once a day or more, we recommend using a higher estimate.  If you have dietary restrictions or follow a specific diet (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, organic, etc), you may also wish to budget more due to the higher cost of specialty food items.

The above numbers are general estimates of expenses during a program abroad. We recommend taking into account your current spending habits, the cost of living in your host country and the current exchange rate. Your IFSA-Butler program advisor can be helpful as you attempt to work on a personal budget for your experience abroad.

*Student Visa: U.S. citizens studying in the U.K. for less than six months (180 days) do not need to apply for a visa, but can instead enter the country as a student visitor at no cost. Student visitors are allowed to remain in the U.K. for up to six months but are not allowed to undertake any paid work or unpaid volunteer activities. Citizens of some countries may be required to obtain a student visa. If this applies to you, your IFSA-Butler program advisor will notify you. Detailed instructions regarding U.K. visas will be sent to all students upon acceptance.

Personal Miscellaneous: Covers general expenses of college life, including course supplies, photocopying, toiletries, snacks, personal care, etc.

All costs are in U.S. dollars.


To apply to the University of York program, use our easy online application.

Applicants to the University of York program must complete additional forms as part of the application process:

We must receive these forms before we can send your application to the University of York for an admissions decision. They can be sent to IFSA-Butler via email, fax or regular mail. Please submit these forms with the remainder of your program application.

If you have already started an application to the University of York program, you can track which forms IFSA-Butler has received by logging into the student portal.

Meet Your IFSA-Butler Team

IFSA-Butler has a dedicated team of staff who are here to help students prepare for their program in England:

aimeeProgram Advisor Aimee Formo is here to assist with the application process and to answer program, cultural and academic questions before departure. Aimee completed her graduate degrees in History and Library Science at Indiana University, and her undergraduate degree in History at Randolph-Macon Woman’s College. She studied abroad with R-MWC’s program at the University of Reading, where she focused on 19th century social reform movements. Aimee joined the IFSA- Butler team to aid students who want to study abroad and experience all that England has to offer. Aimee can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4253.

altStudent Accounts Coordinator Angelita Shaffer assists with the financial side of study abroad and processes payments and invoices. Angelita can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4221.

altStudent & Parent Services Manager Donnetta Spears is available to both students and parents for travel questions and information. Donnetta has worked with IFSA-Butler since 2000, and she has traveled through parts of Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. As the mother of 4 college students (including one who studied abroad on an IFSA-Butler program), she has a deep understanding of the ins-and-outs of study abroad from a parent perspective. Donnetta can be reached at the email link above or at 317-940-4252.

Once abroad, our students are in the capable hands of our on-site office, including our resident directors. Click here to read more about Resident Director Lynne Alvarez.

abbyAcademic Records Coordinator Abby Miller graduated from Butler University where she worked as a guide for international students from all over the world. From that experience and combined with her own world travels, she knows the amazing experiences that studying abroad can provide. Abby is excited to work with IFSA-Butler students and to help answer any questions about their academic records. Abby can be reached at the email link above or at 800-858-0229, ext. 4217.

Get Connected

Connect with IFSA-Butler Students

If you really want to know what it's like to study abroad, connect with IFSA-Butler alumni and students who are currently abroad on an IFSA-Butler program. Check out the following:
Student Network
Student Blogs
Experiences Abroad Videos
For Students

Institute for Study Abroad, Alliance For Global Education and MORE CULTURE. LESS SHOCK. are registered marks of the Institute for Study Abroad, Inc.